Smoke Management Plans
A Smoke Management Plan (SMP) may be required depending upon the type, size, or location of your burn. SMPs are always required when a burn has the potential to impact nearby sensitive receptors (homes, schools, businesses, roads, etc.). Generally, an SMP is required if the quantity of material to be burned equals or exceeds one acre of material per calendar day. Depending on your burn, you may be required to submit a SMP and obtain authorization prior to burning.

Any SMP must be submitted at least thirty (30) days prior to your burn, to allow for review and approval by the District. Plan your projects accordingly as the District will need time to review your plans, espescially during the peak prescribed burning periods of the year.

The NCUAQMD is now using CARB's Prescribed Fire Information Reporting System (PFIRS) for prescribed burning. However for 2020, you must first submit a copy of your SMP including spreadsheet and maps (maps should show vicinity of nearest town, etc) to the NCUAQMD for approval. Once your SMP has been approved you may then submit your approved plan into PFIRS.
Smoke Managment Plan Application & Forms
Smoke Management Plans are required under Title 17 of the California Health and Safety Code and are locally regulated under Regulation II (Rule 206) of the District's Open Burning rules and regulations.

If you have additional questions or require further assistance, contact Debra Harris, Burn Program Coordinator: (707) 443-3093 ext. 122 or

Current Information
All 3 Zones

Thursday October 21st

For burn day status call
Did You Know?
Without a valid burn permit, burning illegally could cost you up to $10,000.00 in fines
Helpful Links
Additional Information
Connect with us on Facebook