Non-Standard Burn Permits
Burn permits can be purchased or renewed online via the new NCUAQMD Online Burn Permit Portal.

Non-Standard Burn Permit Application and Fees
  • Non-Standard Burn Permit Application

  • Application for Fee Waiver/Subsidy of Non-Standard Burn Permit with a SMP

  • Fees are dependent on project size as follows:
    • $40.00 for less than 1 acre of material
    • $80.00 for 1-10 acres
    • $250.00 for 10-100 acres
    • $500.00 for 100-300 acres
    • $1,250.00 for greater than 300 acres
    Depending on the type of burn or burn project, a Smoke Managment Plan may also be required for your project. Please contact District Staff for assistance.
    It is mandatory to obtain a valid burn permit for all open outdoor burning for the purpose of disposing dried, natural vegetation grown on site. District permits are not required for small recreational or ceremonial campfires. A Non-Standard Burn Permit allows individuals, businesses, or government agencies to dispose of approved materials by open burning.
    A Non-Standard Burn Permit provides authorization to burn a maximum of one pile (10' in diameter) of approved materials on the ground at a time. Burn hours are 6:00 a.m. until one hour before sunset on Permissive Burn Days only. A Smoke Management Plan may be required for larger pile sizes, multiple piles, or other large projects.
    Non-Standard Burn Permit holders in State Responsibility Areas (SRA's) are to obtain a CAL FIRE LE-5 Permit as of May 1st of every year from the local CAL FIRE or Forest Service Office. These permits are required until the end of Fire Season is declared by CAL FIRE. Please contact your local CAL FIRE Office or U.S. Forest Service Office for how to obtain Permit.
    Some Non-Standard permits may also require the responsible party to obtain a Burn Authorization Number from the District prior to ignition. Burning is authorized from 6:00 a.m. until one hour before sunset on Permissive Burn Days. Call 1-866-BURNDAY or 1-866-287-6329 or check our website for burn day status.
    A valid burn permit can be obtained at the District office (Monday- Friday from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 and from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.) at 707 L Street, Eureka, CA 95501, or by downloading the application and mailing your application along with a check or money order payable to the AQMD. Burn permit application forms can also be found (not issued) at participating local fire protection agencies and CDF fire stations.
    If you have additional questions or require further assistance, staff are available to assist you at (707) 443-3093 or
    Current Information
    All 3 Zones

    Thursday November 21st

    For burn day status call
    Did You Know?
    Walking, bicycling, or taking alternative transportation to work reduces fuel consumption by 100%
    Helpful Links
    Additional Information
    Connect with us on Facebook