District Burn Permits

As of January 1, 2004 the North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District (District) assumed primary responsibility for the issuance of both Agricultural and Residential burn permits. During declared fire season, additional permits are required by CAL FIRE. Three dollars of every residential permit fee collected goes to local and volunteer fire districts.
Possession of a valid burn permit is mandatory when burning dry natural vegetation outdoors for the purpose of disposal. District burn permits are not required for small recreational or ceremonial campfires.
Permit applications can be obtained (not issued) through participating local fire protection agencies and CAL FIRE stations. District staff is available Monday - Friday from 9:00a.m.-12:00 and from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. to issue burn permits at our District office at 707 L Street, Eureka. Applications are also available online. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express and debit cards are accepted, make checks or money orders payable to the "AQMD".
The District issues the following types of burn permits:
Approved Combustibles
Approved combustibles are materials that are legal to be burned. Such material shall include only dry natural vegetation grown on the premises that is reasonably free of dirt, soil and visible surface moisture.
Burn day status is determined by the State of California on a daily basis. Inversion layer and wind direction are just some of the factors that are used in determining burn day status. Automated burn day status information can be obtained by calling (707) 443-7665 or toll free by dialing 866-287-6329 (866-Burnday). Prior to calling the toll free number, determine your burn zone by referring to your burn permit. There are three different zones in the tri-county areas they are as follows:
  • Coastal Zone 1
  • Inland Zone 2 below 2,000 feet elevation
  • Inland Zone 3 above 2,000 feet elevation

Non-approved Combustibles
Non-approved combustibles are materials that are illegal to be burned. Such material shall include, but are not necessarily limited to:
    petroleum products, petroleum waste, coated wire, putrescent waste, tires, tar, tar paper, non-natural wood waste, processed or treated wood and wood products, metals, motor vehicle bodies and parts, rubber, synthetics, plastics, including plastic film, twine and pipe, fiberglass, Styrofoam, garbage, trash, refuse, rubbish, disposable diapers, ashes, glass, industrial waste, manufactured products, equipment, instruments, utensils, appliances, furniture, cloth, rags, paper or paper products, cardboard, boxes, crates, excelsior, offal, swill, carcass of dead animals, manure, human or animal parts or waste (including blood and fecal material and food containing material), asbestos shingles, floor tiles, and other similar smoke producing materials and poison oak.
(What not to burn: Non - approved material shown above)
If you have additional questions or require further assistance, staff are available to assist you at (707) 443-3093 or support@ncuaqmd.org
Current Information
All 3 Zones

Tuesday August 21st

For burn day status call
Did You Know?
Spider plants remove formaldehyde (from off gassing of new textiles/glues) from your indoor air quality.
Helpful Links
Additional Information
Connect with us on Facebook

Make an Invoice Payment